Hi! I'm Leroy. I'm a growth-focused Product Designer specializing in user-centered design and interaction design. I have ~8 years of experience in product discovery and delivery, and have leveraged curiosity, empathy, and deep collaboration to unlock insights and drive growth.
Lead Product Designer
Kumu · Remote · Aug 2021–Present
Led a team of designers and illustrators while also working as an individual contributor with multiple cross-functional teams to improve streamer quality-of-life (Creator Experience team), improve community engagement (Kumunity team), create new revenue channels (Revenue Streams team), and build tools to protect users (Trust and Safety team).
- Redesigned the mobile app’s navigation system, increasing usage of key features like Notifications (+88%) and Wallet (+470%)
- Revamped the livestream information architecture and interface, improving engagement and satisfaction for both streamers and viewers
- Implemented cold and warm states in the Feed experience, resulting in enhanced user engagement and improved user discovery
- Audited Kumu’s app interface to identify areas for improvement and created Kumu's first Design System, providing foundational guidelines for typography, color, grid use, and component libraries, ensuring consistency and accessibility
- Established Kumu's first Content Design Handbook, including guidelines on style, tone of voice, formatting, writing style, and guidance on accessible and inclusive content
- Set up hiring and grew the product design team to 8 people, created the design team's Career Growth Framework, and shaped team culture and design ops processes
Select Additional Experience
Senior User Experience Designer
ING · Manila, Philippines · Apr 2019–Jul 2021
Lead designer for key mobile app (iOS and Android) experiences and design for internal tools used by banking operations.
- Streamlined customer support processes, reducing waiting time (~25%) and average handling time (~15%) through improved FAQ content, accessibility, chat functionality, and issue prioritization
- Successfully designed and implemented multiple internal tools, including an issue-tracking system, know-your-customer (KYC) tools, fraud management tools, a customer messaging tool, and customer lifecycle management tools
- Ensured usability and efficiency in internal tools, empowering banking operations to effectively manage customer complaints, disputes, fraud cases, customized fraud policies, and targeted campaigns
User Experience Design Lead
Accenture · Manila, Philippines · Nov 2017–Dec 2018
Acted as both interaction designer and visual designer for multiple client work. Clients included: Philippine Airlines, Mabuhay Miles, Globe Telecoms, Saudi Arabia Council of Ministers, and Singapore Ministry of Health.
- Led the audit and successful redesign of Philippine Airlines' website, focusing on content discovery and accessibility, resulting in significant increases in web users (80%), web sessions (93%), direct search conversions (205%)
- Transformed the knowledge-base used by Globe Telecom's customer support centers, improving usability and operational efficiency
NXTLVL Academy · Manila, Philippines · Apr–Jun 2017
Instructed and mentored a class of 15 students transitioning to a career in UX design.
- Developed curriculum, delivered interactive lessons, and guided students in UX design principles, methodologies, and tools.
- Provided hands-on activities, mentorship, and constructive feedback to enhance student skills.
- Cultivated a collaborative learning environment, fostering creativity and problem-solving.
Kalibrr · Manila, Philippines · Jul 2015–Nov 2017
Led the design efforts for the enterprise B2B features of the platform, driving improvements in interface design, usability, and overall user experience
- Redesigned the Application Tracking System to align with the transition from a transactional model to a B2B SaaS model
- Optimized candidate search efficiency through a redesigned Candidate Search feature, leveraging an improved search interface and algorithm
- Elevated the mobile experience of the Job Board, resulting in a 40% increase in mobile job board applications and a 20% increase in total job applications
- Redesigned the Recruiter Dashboard, leading to a 30% increase in total accepted candidates and a 7% increase in accepted candidates per job, contributing to revenue growth for the business
Electronics and Communications Engineering
University of Santo Tomas · Manila, Philippines
Was also a licensed engineer at one point
Product and Growth Strategy
Growth Series, Advanced Growth Strategy, Retention and Engagement, Finding Product Market-Fit, Product Strategy